Pages

Saturday, September 30, 2006

"I like a good beer buzz early in the morning..."

For reasons completely and utterly unexplained, I have rediscovered the Sheryl Crow song "All I Wanna Do." It was stuck in my head the other day at work - so much so that I shared this fact with one of the techs and it was immediately stuck in her head (although it displaced some other song, the identity of which I can't recall, so perhaps I did her a favor.) The part that was stuck in my head was very specific - it was like it was going on repeat or something. It was the part where Sheryl sings:

"Apropos of nothing/He says his name is William/But I'm sure it's Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy."

I remember when this song first came out - it was hugely popular my last year of undergrad at Iowa. I even had the cassette single of it! It is one of those songs that suffered horribly from the huge amount of overplay that it got at the time - so much so that for years, I couldn't bring myself to listen to it. Plus there was the whole overselling of Sheryl Crow based on that album (Tuesday Night Music Club) which ultimately I believe was much more representative of what the record company wanted Crow to do, rather than what she wanted to do. Her follow-up album, Sheryl Crow, is one that Heidi and I both like immensely more than Tuesday Night Music Club, even though Jeff says that the whole thing sounds like she's playing the garbage cans.

Here's a little blast from the past courtesy of the folks at YouTube.



Truthfully, I enjoy this song quite a bit. The rest of the album, eh, not so much. But this is a great slice of nostalgia. And the fact that this song is nostalgic really makes me feel damn old.

1 comment:

Heidi Cullinan said...

Ooh, the sexy Doc is HERE, too. :)