Pages

Monday, October 30, 2006

Leaves

So yesterday, before the yummy and fun dinner with Jeff, Caryle, and Kathy, I decided that, as Babs and Donna Summer would say "Enough is enough! Time to rake the leaves in the front yard!" Heidi did this great blog post on the street where we live, featuring the great plentitude of trees in the neighborhood. They are beautiful - all these old trees as opposed to all those 5-10 year old ones in the suburban developments. They are majestic in their beauty, commanding respect and attention.

However, when fall gets here, they drop their leaves like crazy. And I swear to God, they all end up in my yard. I've detailed here before how much I hate doing yardwork, and raking is no exception to the rule. The only thing it has going for it is that it's usually much cooler when it comes time to rake, unlike when you're mowing in 98 degree weather with 180% humidity.

But it's still labor intensive and I am always capable of coming up with a hundred other things I'd rather be doing. But I did get some of the raking done yesterday. I'm not close to done - not by a long shot. I might have to have my dad bring his mulching mower over to finish the job, or just take it a little bit at a time. I don't think we're due for snow anytime soon (although you never can tell!!) so at least that's not complicating matters. Yet.

But what's a fall day without jumping in leaves? We did this as kids all the times, living on another tree lined street but for some reason or another, the wind always blew all our leaves into the neighbors' yards. So yesterday, I raked up some piles and let Anna jump to her heart's content. Here's the results of that endeavor.

And since the pictures only capture half the story, here's a quick video:



The innocence of youth - it's a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

Heidi Cullinan said...

I think my favorite bit is that "ow!" at the end of the video. I agree. Leaves should not be scratchy! But they are.

Yuяi said...

Your daughter is such a cutie! :)