Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2006

O Brush! O Hush!

Tonight Anna and I read one of our favorite books before bed - The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown. And surprisingly, it's not a book that I ever had read to me as a kid -- it's a book that Heidi remembers. Most of the books that I love reading with Anna are ones that I read growing up, but this one, well, it's just so darn cute that you can't really resist it.

Basically, the book is about how the color kittens, Brush and Hush are trying to make green paint. And in the process of mixing paints, they make all sorts of different colors - pink, orange, purple, brown. It's great for kids learning their colors and it has a gentle not-quite rhyme that makes it great fun to read aloud.

Anna always has to point out to me which one is Brush and which one is Hush (Brush uses a paint brush to get paint out of a bucket, Hush uses his paw.) But I think my favorite part is the part where the color kittens are sleeping and they dream a dream of a purple land by a pale pink sea.

Every time I see that picture, I wish I lived on that little island. I'm not sure why. It's probably pretty ridiculous, but it just seems like a nice place to be. So peaceful and serene.

Probably not what the author was after when she wrote the book, but that's what it does for me. Whenever we read it, I can't wait to get to that part.

No comments: